Friday, November 16, 2012

The Living Room of Campus

If you think about the role of a student union on campus, what are the things that first come to mind? It’s a real question, but let me share what I came up with:
The student union is the living room of the campus. It’s the hub for events and programming, administrative offices, dining, socializing, meeting space and many other important aspects of student life.

My name is Collin Rodino and I have worked as the Public Relations Associate for Webb Center since February. I have shared a little bit about the role of Webb Center in student life, now I’d like to give you some insight into what we are doing to engage students and why.

It is because the student union is so important to student life that we work to bring the student union experience to you. We feel that there is real value in sharing what happens on campus with students and that by sharing what happens in Webb we can more effectively engage students. We can show rather than tell, what’s going on around campus, and why getting involved is important.

We utilize social media to provide the university community with insight into past and upcoming events, university updates, services and opportunities on campus. By logging in to your preferred social media websites, you can keep your finger on the pulse of activities on campus.

Our other goal is to help student organizations and administrative offices create awareness about their events and services. The university community is just that: a community. By supporting our student organizations and offices, we create an environment in which student support drives success. We can help organizations and departments figure out what we want, what we need, and what improvements can be made. We aim to be a resource for these groups.

I have been fortunate enough to have been engaged early in my college career. I have been given so many once-in-a-lifetime opportunities, and I am very grateful. They have helped me to develop as an individual, as a leader, and as a young professional entering the “real world”. We all pay tuition, and by engaging in the community you can get as much out of your experience as you want. I will be graduating December 15, and looking back I know that I have made the most of my time at Old Dominion.

We want to help you engage in your campus community, and to help you make your college experience something enchanting.

So get out there and get involved!

We’ll let you know what’s happening.

Collin Rodino
Public Relations Associate
Old Dominion ‘12

No comments:

Post a Comment